Fourth year Giant Josh Kelly has been named the 2017 Kevin Sheedy Medal winner as the GWS Giants club champion.
Kelly was named in the All Australian team last month and recently re-signed with the Giants.
It caps off a great season for the 22-year-old who was instrumental in helping the Giants to a second successive preliminary final.
Giants coach Leon Cameron said Kelly’s achievement was “well-deserved”.
“There’s no doubt Josh took his game to a new level this year playing a variety of roles and playing with a high level of consistency,” he said.
“He was part of our leadership group for the first time this year and everyone at the Giants admires his dedication to the club and playing group.”
Kelly claimed the honour with a club-record points tally and scored points in every game he played.
He was equal-10th in the competition for tackles, averaged almost 30 disposals and over six tackles a game and kicked 19 goals.
It was a huge season for the Giants, who were beaten by the eventual premiers for the second straight season.
Chairman Tony Shepherd said the club could be proud of its achievements in 2017 despite not bringing home the club’s inaugural premiership.
“This year saw us once again make big strides both on and off the field and saw us cement our position as one of the most dynamic teams, and indeed organisations as a whole, in the AFL,” Shepherd said.
"We can hold our heads high knowing this is a strong result for a club in just its sixth AFL season.”
Kelly was also named the Members and Fans Most Valuable Player.
- Rising Star Award – Tim Taranto
- Academy Player of the Year – Nick Shipley
- Community Award – Tom Downie
- Defensive Award – Shane Mumford
- NEAFL Development Award – Isaac Cumming
- Members and Fans Most Valuable Player – Josh Kelly
- Mark of the Year – Toby Greene (Round one v Adelaide)
- Goal of the Year – Stephen Coniglio (Round 20 v Melbourne)
- Leading Goal Kickers – Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene, Jonathon Patton (45 goals)
- Coaches Award – Dawson Simpson
Former winners of the Kevin Sheedy Medal:
- 2016 - Toby Greene
- 2015 - Heath Shaw
- 2014 - Shane Mumford
- 2013 - Jeremy Cameron
- 2012 - Callan Ward